Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Advice

Well at the urging of my neurologist and a new found friend, I'll tell you about her later, I made an appointment with my general physician for a physical.  Now, I have seen my share of medical professionals in the last two months, but they have all been to diagnose, discuss and ponder my new found friend Mr. Parkinson's.  I have not had a complete physical since before Parker was born.  So, the time had come for this well nourished, 39.9 year old girl to go get checked out.  High blood pressure, diabetes, and cancer all run on both sides of my family.  Apparently, people after being diagnosed with an illness such as Parkinson's tend to forget about the other things that can begin to change as we age.  Yes, I am going to be forty really soon, and I'm overweight   well nourished, and well, there are a whole lot of things in my life that need attention.  So, this morning I headed out to see my very handsome and very young doctor.  I realize that you are supposed to have someones permission to post their picture on the Internet, Aren't you?  Anyway, my dapper Doctor is now like the face of Methodist, seriously he's all over the hospital and in the little brochures.  This is for good reason, as I said he is very easy to sit and talk with.  So here he is
Let me tell you he is just as nice as he is gorgeous.   He was the third doctor to give me the great news about being a Parkie.  We sat in his office that day and talked like old friends.  Today was no different.  He came in and asked how everything was going, looked through the neurologists notes, and then explained some of the tests that he wanted to run.  He never once mentioned the fact that maybe I could stand to loose a pound or two.  I think he was being nice or figured I was the one hauling around all this extra weight, and I should be smart enough to realize it wasn't healthy.  All in all, it was a good visit.  In his opinion, I am relatively healthy, with the exception of the whole movement disorder thing.  I did ask him if Parkinson's was considered a disease or a disorder?  He asked me what I preferred we call it.  Disorder does not sound nearly as scary as a disease, so that is what we decided we would refer to it as.  I am suffering from a disorder, not a disease.  That makes me feel better already. 

Today has been a good day

No comments:

Post a Comment