Monday, March 7, 2011

I see dumb people

Today has been a day unlike any other I have experienced in my 39.9 years.  Morning started out just fine.  Dropped Parker off to catch the bus, yes I took him to the bus stop that is two whole blocks away.  I then stopped at the gas station, picked up my morning paper and soda and as I was walking out I noticed a man staring at me.  I gave him a half ass wave and he started walking over to me.  This didn't alarm me, as he was at least eighty years old and I had a good forty twenty pounds on him.  He asked me if he could ask me a personal question..  I said to the seasoned beau "ask the question, if it's to personal I will get in my car and leave."    It takes the old  fellow a few seconds and he says "do you have the same problem as Muhammad Ali?"   Wow, he was pretty observant.  I answered politely with a " why yes I do."   Then the old fucker starts telling me how Joe Frazier thought God was punishing the great prized fighter.  Apparently the old nosy ass had remembered at one point Joe Frazier had stated that because Ali would boast that he was the greatest and by changing his name that he was being punished by the big guy upstairs.  I listened to him ramble on for a few minutes and then excused myself.  It didn't take me long to try to find out if the old geezer was correct in his quotes.  Turns out he was.    

Joe Frazier Says God Responsible for Muhammad Ali’s Parkinson’s

Now, the second brainless person I had the pleasure of dealing with was one of the nurses from my neurologists office.  Remember the MRI, you know the test last week that nearly killed me, well not really but I felt like it for a while, anyway the result were back.  She begins by saying "apparently someone had a hard time with the MRI". I quickly interrupted the inane woman and said " There was no apparently about it and that person was me."  She half assed giggled and that pissed me off.  She goes on to say that fortunately the MRI was within normal ranges and she thought that the doctor would probably order more testing.  Now, a person who has Parkinsons' disease normally will have an MRI within normal range, so I asked her what other tests?  I promise you her answer was "well tests that will help us to determine what is causing the symptoms."  What symptoms, have they came out with a new test in the last week for Parkinson's?  I was confused at this point and ask her, "well don't most PWP (people with Parkinson's) have normal MRI's?"    At this point I could hear papers shuffling, and then there was this lingering silence.  I almost felt as though this was a prank call because her next question was "is this Holli?"  For fuck sake,   uhh yes this is Holli and would you like to start this conversation over, because I am really fucking confused? 
She does her best to apologize, but it was to late for all of that shit.  Just give me the facts lady!!  Turns out all of my tests were normal, once again confirming that indeed I have hit the jig jackpot.  I think from now on I will start each conversation like they do at AA.  Hello my name is Holli and I have Parkinson's and now according to Joe Frazier I should probably try to figure out what God is punishing me for?  Really, are people that dumb???

Today has been a good day.  Despite dumb people.

No comments:

Post a Comment