Thursday, March 31, 2011

Awareness month





Well, it's the last day of March.  I am quite sure that I'm not alone when I say that I am ready for some warm weather.  As I sat at the dog park tonight, I began to think.  First of all people,  pick up after your four legged children, because I don't enjoy stepping in it, even in these ugly ass shoes. Secondly, April will be different for me this year.  Yes, yes, it will mark my fortieth birthday, but it is also Parkinson Awareness Month.  This is something that I certainly didn't plan on being aware of, or I should say that I didn't plan on thinking of this shit pot of a disease effecting me on a personal level.  My mother was diagnosed two years ago, and this may sound selfish, but it really didn't hit me until I was diagnosed.  I thought that I would answer a few of the questions people have asked me about the disorder, remember I don't like to call it a disease.  Kind of my little part in making others aware.

1.  Aren't you to young to have Parkinson's?    I have touched on this before, but no I'm not.  Ten percent of all people diagnosed are under the age of 40. 

2.  Does it hurt?   This makes me laugh.  This disorder effects every person different.  There are symptoms that are not real pleasant.  The rigidity, which many suffer from, can be quite painful.  When your on a down, or between doses of medicine, it can be quite hard to get around.  My right side is the worst, so my right elbow, and knee become very hard to move. The muscles feel very tight almost as if they are cramping, but the twitching or tremors that others see does not hurt.

3.  Did it happen over night?  No, not for me at least.  I have had symptoms for years.  The tremor in my right hand became obvious to others over night.  One day it was in my ring and pinkie finger and mainly when I was going to sleep that I would tremor, then one morning it was my entire hand.  Doctors dated other symptoms as far back as ten years ago.

4.  Could you have prevented it?   Researchers have not identified the exact cause of the disease and therefore without this information, preventing it is impossible. Most however, do believe that Parkinson's disease is caused by a combination of a genetic predisposition and environmental factors.

5.  How bad will it get?  The progression of the disease is not the same for everyone. Some individuals suffer milder forms of Parkinson's than do others and not everyone experiences all of the same symptoms or the same severity of symptoms.

6.  Could this be fatal?  I swear to you someone asked me this shortly after diagnosis, I was shocked.     Parkinson's has not been proven to be fatal although patients with it do have special health concerns. The disease may wreak havoc with the respiratory system, which could lead to pneumonia.  My doctor said to me that Parkinson's will not kill you , but you will die with it.

7.  Can you stop the tremors?  Yes, for a few minutes you can.  Think of tightening your stomach muscles, you can do this for a few minutes then you have to let it out.  It is almost a relief to stop trying.  Tremors are the same way.  If  i concentrate really hard they will stop.  It is impossible to do this for a long period of time.

8.  Does it effect you mentally?   The public often unfairly perceives Parkinson's patients as being stupid, rude or miserable. The reasons cited is that as the disease progresses, sufferers develop more and more problems in their ability to communicate with others. Problems with speech, swallowing, drooling, and jerky facial and body movements cause patients to be unfairly labeled. Some people unaware of a persons condition wrongly believe that person to be inebriated when they talk with slurred speech.

These are the questions that come to mind.  I know there are others, but these are definitely the top eight.  I hope that maybe by answering some of these that people will have a better understanding of the disorder.  Bottom line is that it sucks.  OH OH, I forgot a question.  

DON'T YOU JUST LOVE MICHAEL J FOX?   Yea, he's a great guy

Today has been a good day.
                                                                                                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment