Saturday, February 12, 2011

Another first


So my morning was relatively good, considering I slept for almost 14 hours.  I was extremely tired when I got home from work yesterday.  Those little yellow fellows may make moving easier but they make staying awake hard as hell sometimes.  I layed down for a power nap and the next thing I knew it was eight o'clock.  It had been eight hours since I had taken my meds and my body was telling me, I needed them.  I have been taking them at meal times and it has not seemed to bother my stomach.  So, last night I had a great excuse to have to eat a bowl of cereal and a piece of cake and, Ok I'm going to embarrass myself.  Lets just say I made sure my little belly wasn't empty when the jig medicine hit it.  I then went back to bed feeling like a bloated toad and didn't move til 6 this morning.
I had a nine o'clock appointment to see my dear friend for a much needed hair cut.  Now, this had me a bit worried.  As I have said before, the meds make you squirm a bit and I had visions of me moving and SNIP no bangs.  Anyone who knows me, will tell you I am a bit anal when it comes to my hair.  I don't have the body for designer jeans or really cute tank tops.  I do however, have a great stylist who has grown accustomed to my hair and that makes a big girl smile, even on a bad day.  While I was sitting there, trying my best to keep the shimmy shake at a minimum, I began to think about appearances and what others think.  Now you can sit and say " I don't care what others think."  To a certain extent, I think we all care how others perceive us. In America, $20 billion is spent annually on cosmetics.   I would be willing to bet, the average woman doesn't spend 10 minutes a day to make herself feel better, by applying these beauty aids.  We spend this time so that while we are strolling the aile's at walmart we look good.  Because, we all know the first time we make a mad dash to the store at 6 in the morning for toilet paper, your ex will also be there.  He will be buying something cool like sunscreen or some over priced sport drink.  Who would want to chance that encounter with morning eyes and bad hair?


Somethings can't be hidden, even by the best of foundation or concealer.  Your fake eyelashes may look wonderful, but if your in a wheel chair that is what people will see.  You can have the very best of spray tans and if your using a walker, that is what the focus will be on.  You can have a great new hairstyle and rock it pretty well, but your shaking hand is what will get looked at first. It's human nature and I'm not blaming anyone here.  We are all guilty, including myself.  It's not a good feeling to be different.  It is however, a good feeling to be surrounded by people that make you feel as though it doesn't matter.  People are going to stare and children are going to ask questions.  I will keep thinking of unusual comments to make as people look at me funny.  I was paying the bill at IHOP this morning, when I dropped my wallet.  I got nervous trying to pick it up and we all know the jig is on when I get nervous.  I so badly wanted to turn to the man behind me and say "careful with the coffee here, not sure what they put in it this morning". Today has been a good day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment