Thursday, February 3, 2011

Parkinsons and food

                                           Well, with all the reading I have been doing on this new found friend of mine, one thing keeps popping up---Diet.  Depending on what site you may go to there is only one thing in common and that reads as follows

Avoid alcohol, sugar and caffeine, all which can disrupt neurological function. Also try to avoid any type of processed food because processed foods contains high levels of chemicals and toxins. Hmm,  just burst my bubble.  What the hell am I going to eat?  It's quite obvious by looking at me that I have a love for food.  By love, I mean I love food.  Fried, baked, broiled, boiled, grilled, and any other way you can think of, I love food.  Now, many of the sites claim high in protein is best.  That is a good thing, but I like my protein on carbohydrates.  The butternut man and I go way back.  I adore bread of any kind.  It seems as though the affair I have been having with english muffins needs to slow down.  Kind of like a first love.  Just step back and enjoy small amount of time together.  Maybe we could meet up on the weekends or special occasions, but not everyday and not three times a day.  I am trying to add a vegetable to each meal.  Now vegetables to me, is like a husband.  Forget that lust you had for the first boyfriend (carbs) .  Vegetables( husband), you can't live without them.  They help in so many ways.  They can be a pain in the ass,  it takes a while to get them the way you like them.  They are better all dressed up, I'm thinking cheese or a cool pair of Levis, depending on whether your thinking of your man or a piece of broccoli at this point.  Guess what I'm trying to get at is that I love them very much, just can't stand the thought of them there ALL the time.   The alcohol really isn't a huge thing to me.  Alcohol to me is like a gay friend.  He is a blast on the weekend.  Goes great with a good chick flick, but I don't need it all the time.  They both make you end up talking about your feelings and that's just not me.  The caffeine, now that is a problem.  Caffeine to me is like my Dad.  He always makes me feel better.  Can't imagine not having a little bit of that every morning.  Kind of gets you going.  Last but not least--processed foods.  Do not tell the butternut guy but I may love spam as much as the bread I eat it on.  Actually, I eat a whole bunch of processed things.
 
Well, today I began to put a twist on things.  I am really watching my portions and am adding the protein and stepping away from a few of my loves.  I really need to do this.  Many believe that the extra pounds you carry daily make it very hard to function with PD.  I am also going to add exercise to this new twisty thing as well.  I need to do things to keep my muscles loose.  They say Tai Chi is wonderful.  I keep picturing myself in the Karate Kid movie.  Not sure if I could make it through a class without laughing.  I will research that a bit more.  Tonight, Parker and I will play tennis for at least an hour.  Ok, it's on the ps3 but I don't shake at all when relaxing doing that, so I say it's a keeper.  Today is a pretty good day.
 
Just for the record.   If my food and man story got you a bit confused
If I made a man pyramid he would be my fruit and vegetable.  Love me some Andy Garcia.  He's fucking hot.

1 comment:

  1. "Kind of like a first love. Just step back and enjoy small amount of time together. Maybe we could meet up on the weekends or special occasions, but not everyday and not three times a day."

    ^ This is why I love you. This is great.

    ReplyDelete