Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Starting power steering fluid

I wanted to take a minute and explain the name I have given my blog.  You see, the day I was originally diagnosed they tried to explain it in a way that I could understand.  Dr Miranda told me simply "your a car and you have very little,  if any power steering fluid left.  You have a power steering pump, but over the years all of your fluid has leaked out.  Now, you can still drive this car but it's much harder. The turns that you made before with ease now takes much more effort.  You are able to get where everyone else is, but it is much harder now to crank the wheel."   The power steering fluid she was speaking of is dopamine and my brain is the power steering pump.  This has happened over a period of time and that is why it is sometimes hard to diagnose.  My pump (brain) is fine, it just needs the fluid (dopamine).

So last night it was time to give myself a little fluid (sinemet).  Sinemet, also known as
carbidopa levodopa is going to be my cocktail of choice to help me be able to drive a bit easier.  Of course I had to read all the side effects, drug interactions, and long term effects.  To say the least, I was nervous about taking it.  You must keep in mind, I was already nervous about the amount of snow outside and the fact that my power lines were moving like jump ropes.  I took the tiny yellow pill around 7 o'clock.  I waited and waited and never really felt anything.  This morning I woke, ate some toast and met up with the little yellow fellow again.  About twenty minutes later my legs began to feel a bit tingly.  My foot, that has felt as though it has had a cramp in it for months, did feel better. I again took the med about lunch time (a little after) and I guess I felt relaxed.  I had a bit of a fuzzy head and just relaxed. 

I am getting ready to have yet my third pill of the day and feel a little more at ease.  I did feel really tired today, but it's hard to judge what caused it.  On a day like today, everyone is laying around enjoying their snow day.  I am actually looking forward to getting back to work and seeing what the little yellow guy will do for me at work.  I have read where people say it's a miracle drug and others say its hard to tolerate.  I hope I am singing to the angels tomorrow.  The picture at the top of the old truck is how I had been feeling.

This is what I am hoping for soon.  Easy driving.    Oh, I must tell you.  While searching for images on the Internet, you need to be careful putting in hummer.  No really,  some crazy stuff comes up. Today, I'm having a good day. 

1 comment:

  1. HAHA You're too funny. I'm glad you're not losing your sense of humor through all of this.

    Here is to happy yellow pills!! :)

    ReplyDelete