Saturday, February 5, 2011

A few lessons learned

Well my Friday night began with an invitation to a local hockey game.  It was the Kouri cup, which I learned later was Pekin vs Peoria.  These were not the hockey players I was accustomed to seeing.  They were grown men doing what they loved.  It was a packed house.  I must admit, I was not so sure about going.  I had at this time been taking the little yellow fellow for 3 days and was beginning to learn what to expect from him. He makes me tired and he makes me move more uncontrollably.  Now, there is an upside to my little friend.  I do not have the stiffness in my legs and it doesn't seem to hurt nearly as bad moving around.  The movement had me concerned.  Many people have the preconceived notion that the disease causes all the movement and that isn't the case.  Without the medicine you feel very stiff and move very slow. I decided to take the medicine at the regular time, as I have been told is so very important.  I knew that meant it was going to kick in about the time I got to the arena.  Upon entering I seen many familiar faces.  I was a bit concerned about whether my shimmy shimmy shake was going to be noticeable.  Apparently it was.  More than one person stated " boy you never get used to the cold do you?"   I quickly learned I was being paranoid thinking others were staring.  People simply thought I was shivering from the cold.  I can live with that.  Lesson learned---I can go to hockey games and seem like any other cold fan standing around.

Saturday night was wonderful.  Earlier in the weekend my BFF (sister in law) had invited Doug and I, along with their cousin and her husband to join them at Alexanders for dinner. Keep in mind, I was nervous.  Not about the company but about the eating out part.  Again, this little yellow fellow was haunting me.  I was due to take the med at dinner time, and I knew I had to.  If I didn't take it I would be miserable with the aching legs and foot pain.  When I did take it I knew I would have the uncontrolled little jig.  Well the jig it was and it wasn't bad at all.  I chose to eat chicken as I am not much on steak anyway, but knew I could cut the chicken easier if I was having the tremors in my hand.  Without the meds I have resting tremors and am able to still do just about anything, it is just a whole lot harder.With the meds, like I said everything seems a bit wobbly and uncontrolled.  I held that salad plate with both hands and prayed all the way to the table that I wouldn't drop it.  The entree came and another glass of wine and I had made it through an evening I had been so worried about. It all seems silly now to have been worried.  This group of friends are the best ever.  I had envisioned this big white elephant in the room all evening and that just wasn't the case. 


As we made our way to the car we passed a handicapped spot.  Doug said he thought I should apply for one.  Now, I know I may walk a bit slower.  I may seem uneasy on my feet at times.  This comes from the fear of falling.  I am in no way in need of a parking permit.  There are so many others out there that need those spaces.  I appreciate the thought that was behind that, but I'm not ready for that quite yet.  I must admit the thought of a front row space at Walmart on Saturday mornings seems mighty inviting, but I will keep driving around looking for the closest space for a while.  Not saying that day wont come, but it's not going to be today or even tomorrow.  Today has been a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment