Thursday, February 10, 2011

The face of Parkinsons

Picture this billboard with 4 people on it.  An older man, a middle aged man, a thirty something woman and a baby.  The three adults would all have captions below them reading " I have Parkinson's".  The baby would be holding a tulip (the symbol for Parkinson's) with the caption "I have hope".   This apparently will be coming to a town near you in the future.  I received a phone call from a very nice woman tonight, asking if I would consider being that thirty something lady.  She said we have to get the word out about this horrible disease and want you to put a face with it.  Well my first thought was,  I know how big a billboard is and just how big is that going to make me look?  My second thought was,  Do I really want to be seen in that way?   She was a very sweet lady who is on a mission to find a cure.  Her husband was diagnosed years ago and she has taken every step with him.  If this woman,who has never had to physically feel the pain that comes with Parkinson's is this passionate about helping others, how could I tell her no?  We spoke for about an hour.  She explained how different every Parkinson's patient was, yet we couldn't get over the similarity I had with her husband.  But a billboard???  Seriously,  My face on a billboard.  Ohh what have I gotten myself into?

I keep having these visions of my face ending up on something like this.  Like an episode of a bad sitcom. You agree to one thing and you walk out one morning and BAM there you are.  Someone messed up the design and your face is advertising for something else.  I know silly, but seriously that is how my mind works.   Maybe they want me to look younger, you know attract a younger crowd.  I could give them a picture of when I was 30.  Hell, who am I kidding I didn't look any better then.  So, in a few months if your driving down RT 29 and see my smiling face,  give me a call if  I have any 1-800 numbers below me.  Otherwise think of Parkinson's.  Think that maybe, just maybe we will get a cure.  Today has been a better day.

2 comments: